Friday, June 10, 2011

Frogs and Freshmen

Today had a lot of random moments of complete and total gratefulness and happiness, but there are two that stand out.

The first is when I was in the middle of a presentation to incoming students, and I was pitching them a new program that I really, really believe in and I'm passionate about, and I'm simultaneously terrified that I won't get the interest I need and it will get axed. So when I pitch it, I basically pour my heart out about how I was in a similar program as an incoming college freshmen and the ways in which it helped me (Freshmen Interest Groups (FIGs) if you're interested- they're kind of phenomenal). I wasn't feeling well this morning, so I was really trying to pull out anything I could, and wound up just sitting on a desk and talking to them for a couple of minutes about it. And at the end, I asked who might be interested in joining the groups so I could give them information handouts. Out of the 90 or so students- about 45-50 raised their hands!!!! And I doubled the actual number that signed up from last week. HUGE HUGE MOMENT, people. I am so incredibly grateful that I have found a field that I love and care about, and that I get true happiness from my work successes. I'm so grateful I've found something that isn't just a job.

The second random moment is just goofy. My dog discovered frogs tonight. I personally love frogs. I think they're just funny, with their little eyes and their squat little bodies and their deceptively powerful legs. They just make me smile. And tonight, my dog discovered frogs when she nudged one with her nose and it jumped about a foot. She must have nudged it and its buddy frog 3 or 4 times before she went nuts trying to play with it as though it were a puppy or something. She's a goof, love her. I'm grateful that I got to have that fun silly moment in my evening, and I'm glad that we had it because we were having a walk that was just for her, where she got to decide where she wanted to go and at what pace. So she's happy, I'm happy, everyone's happy (except maybe the nudged frogs, but they'll get over it.)

Sidenote: If you're a dog owner, take a minute to watch Michael Vartan's new PETA PSA. It's a really great reminder about how important our actions are in our pup's lives. And hey, it's Michael Vartan. Why wouldn't you want to watch him be beautiful for 30 seconds? (And when did he get forearm tattoos? Why does that make him even hotter??? This man should be illegal, he's that beautiful.) Anyway, being a good puppy parent is important- thanks for reminding us of their perspective, Michael. =)



(video linked from YouTube, property of PETA; also available on www.peta.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment