Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 18: The Funny Guy at Starbucks

I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night, if that; I just had a bad day on Tuesday and my mind wasn't in the mood to slow down. So this morning, I got up (still not in a good mood) and was exhausted, and since Starbucks is not open at work until Monday, I decided I wanted a venti skinny caramel macchiato, and dammit, I was going to get one.

Even though I live in a decidedly yuppy neighborhood, the closest Starbucks to be is about 5 minutes away (and at that location, by the way, there are 3 within 100 yards of each other. I don't get it.) So I drove over, and the one without the drive-thru looked way less crowded, so I got out, ordered, etc. Got my coffee, went over to the sugar/milk/make-it-what-you-want-it station, and this random older hipster started the following conversation, during which we  barely looked at each other and just fixed our coffees.

Hipster: "How are you today?"
Me: "Fine, I guess. I'd probably be better if if was Monday and I didn't have work."
H: "Agreed. It should definitely be a vacation day. I wish I could live in vacation... but then again, maybe I don't."
M: "Because then we wouldn't appreciate it."
H: "Exactly, that's the problem.... maybe we would, though..."
M: "We should volunteer to try that out for the general population."
H: "YES. We should. It would be so self-sacrificing of us, people would probably be grateful we solved the mystery. And all for the better good of others."
M: "Let me know if you find a way to do that, I'm totally in."
H: "Done. If I figure it out, I'll let you know."
M: "Deal. Have a good day."
H: "You, too."

Best random conversation I've probably ever had, and it made my day about 1000x better. Thanks, random hipster dude with the sweet fedora- you are definitely winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment