Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 7: Loving My Job

This is a big one that I'm grateful for, y'all. This was intended to be Friday night's post (before I had issues logging in again and eventually fell asleep on the couch), which I thought about while at the Spring 2011 commencement ceremony.

I try to be somewhat vague within this blog on purpose, but basically, I've worked as a major university for the last 3 years directly with students. Starting this month, I'm transitioning to another position, where I work less directly with students but get to affect a wider reach of students.

I knew I loved working with students from my college experiences, where I was an orientation student leader and volunteered at a camp for incoming college freshman. I completely loved helping students get oriented to a new place, get excited about the new possibilities ahead of them, and then send them off to accomplish all the great things they have ahead of them. I didn't think I would be able, honestly, to get into this field because I didn't yet have a master's- the school I went to (UT, Texas Fight!) required a master's at minimum to work with students in most positions. When E and I moved to Houston, though, I decided I wanted to try to get into the field again- and somehow, it worked out.

I genuinely love my job. I don't mind when I stay late, I don't mind the stress, and I don't mind the sheer exhaustion I feel sometimes at the end of the day, because I really love what I do. I love knowing that I saved someone some time in graduating, or some money. I love knowing I was able to support someone on following their dreams. And I LOVE that every so often, I get to help someone enough that I feel like I've actually made a small impact on their life. That's the best part. I know what it's like to work and not love the work you're doing (I did that for about two years), and I am so very grateful that I was able to find a field I truly love, value and have so much enthusiasm about.

No comments:

Post a Comment