Friday, June 24, 2011

Another Step to Equality

I saved this post for late because I wasn't sure I'd get to do it. I'm a little teary-eyed that it actually happened.

Today I am grateful that the Senate of New York made the decision to legalize gay marriage. I'm grateful that we as people are making steps to treat each other with respect and integrity regardless of our personal differences, and as an ally of the LGBTQ community and as a person who was fortunate to be granted the right of marriage without a struggle, I am so very happy for all the gay and lesbian couples of NY who have been waiting for this day to make their relationships legitimate in the eyes of their state. Congrats from Texas, y'all, and much love and happiness and summer weddings full of joy to you. In the words of Elizabeth Taylor, "long live love."

The incomparable Elizabeth Taylor at the 11th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in 2000; 
one of my favorite speeches of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment