Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day One: Niece #1

Today's thing I'm grateful for: my Niece #1. #1 (of a total of 3) is 3 years old, and a blond bundle of energy and awesome. She was born to E's sister before E and I even got engaged (we've been married for almost 2 years), so there was this awkward period of me not being Aunt Ki but being Miss Ki or something; she was a newborn, so she doesn't recall this, and I'm glad for that because I never want to be anything to her but family. I've always loved babies and children, but as my first niece, #1 has a very special place in my heart. She is full of love and hugs and innocence and a personality for miles, and she's a fabulous big sister and beautiful little dancer and artist in her own right. She makes me grin every single time I see her. It's impossible for me to explain how grateful I am for her (I mean, how do you explain how much you love a child?) but I'll try.

  1. I'm grateful for her because she always runs to give me a hug as soon as she sees me. She makes me understand that for all my flaws, I'm worth loving. She's good like that.
  2. (TMI warning) I'm grateful for her because, gross and weird as this sounds, she likes me to be the one who takes her to go to the bathroom (she's potty trained, but sometimes she needs a bit of help because little kid arms just aren't very long, y'all.) I know her parents sometimes seem to be slightly embarrassed by this (because really, their kid is like "come wipe my butt, it will be fun, YAY" and that's not really socially what their goal is, I think) but I hope they have an inkling that not only does it not bother me remotely, but I'm amazed and humbled that she trusts me and likes to have me around that much. Weird that I cherish this? Maybe. But I'm okay with that.
  3. I'm grateful for her because she gives me an opportunity to better myself by being more patient, more articulate and more vulnerable.
She is truly a highlight of my life. I love her to pieces. But who wouldn't love and be grateful to have this little gem as a part of their family?


(please ignore the gargoyle-esque look of my dog in the background, kthx)

No comments:

Post a Comment